WILLIAM J ROBERTS, JR
Please QSLdirect WITH SASE to me or via managers as noted below. Some more recent operations can be confirmed via LOTW as well.
I was first licensed in junior high school (1976) as WN4PSL. I upgraded to Extra and received AA4NC, (one of the first US 2x2 calls) in 1977. I have been interested in contesting and DXing my entire ham career, and prefer being on the DX end of the pileup. I've operated from all over using callsigns such as:
- AA4NC/C6A The Bahamas
- FS/AA4NC and FS5PL St. Martin
- AA4NC/HC Ecuador
- AA4NC/HH2 Haiti
- HP1/AA4NC Panama
- HR5/AA4NC Honduras
- HR2J Honduras
- KH0/AA4NC Saipan
- KH2/AA4NC Guam
- KH6/AA4NC and KH6LC Hawaii
- AA4NC/KP1 Navassa Island
- Click here for a DX Magazine article on our Navassa DXpedition
- AA4NC/KP2 U.S. Virgin Islands
- AA4NC/KP4 Puerto Rico
- PJ5/AA4NC St. Eustatius
- PY0F/AA4NC Fernando De Noronha
- AA4NC/PJ7 St. Maarten
- AA4NC/VE1 Canada
- AA4NC/VP2M and VP2MU Montserrat
- AA4NC/VP2V British Virgin Islands
- AA4NC/V47 and V47Z St. Kitts
- AA4NC/XE3 Mexico
- ZS2/AA4NC South Africa
- AA4NC/3DA0 Swaziland
- CY9C St. Paul Island
- CY0XX Sable Island
- HC8N Galapagos Islands
- HK5MF Colombia
- P40AA Aruba
- V31RR Belize
- VP2E, VP2EE, VP2EN, VP2ENC Anguilla
- VP2ME Montserrat
- VP5NC, VP5M, VP5/AA4NC Turks & Caicos Islands
- YN2NC Nicaragua
- 4V2C Haiti
- 5K0N and 5J0NA San Andres Island
- 6Y5/AA4NC Jamaica
- 8P9JA and 8P9JB Barbados
- K7LXC/WG 1990 World Radiosport Team Championship - Seattle
- W4ATC NC State University station - my alma mater - Go Wolfpack!!
- W4MR Contest club callsignand DX Packet cluster (QSL via AI4U)
- AA4NC/6 California QSO Party mobile(45 counties in a weekend!)
- K3LR multi/multi station in Sharon, Pennsylvania
- W1AW/4 The AA4NC station hosted W1AW for the 2008 IARU HF Championship and in 2014 for the ARRL Centennial
- N4RJ multi/single station in Snellville, Georgia
- W4WA multi/single station in the metropolis of Lula, Georgia
- N4OX in beautiful downtown Molino, Florida
- W4NH Fourlanders VHF Club contest mountaintop expeditions
- W4ATC/4 VHF contest mountaintop expeditions
- N4KK/M Florida QSO Party - Multi/2 in a Van!
- K4OO The Ultimate Field Day Station brought to you by the Smith Chart Society
- K6IDX in the mountains of beautiful northern California - multiops with W6OAT in the California QSO Party
- N1LN/4 in Chapel Hill, NC a PVRC-NC multiop station hosted by Bruce and Laurie Meier
- N4C Grey Goose Farm Field Day Team
(Note: Calls in blue have links to web sites for further information)
I ama part-timeDXer (DXCC Honor Roll, 9BDXCC, VUCC - 6 meters) and I enjoy RTTY and chasing grids on 6 and 2 meters as well.
I am a member of PVRC, and am the trustee of the Confederate Contest Club and weuse the W4MR callsign occasionally in contests from my QTH. My station is set up for single op and multi-single. I have two towers (120' and 80') on a one acre property. You can find the current configuration at www.conteststations.com.
I find that meeting new friends is one of thebest parts of being in the amateur radio fraternity. I have had the pleasure of makingfriends all over the world who share my fascination with this crazy hobby that affects us "hamaholic mutants". The magic of worldwide communication without wires still holds a fascination for me. I will never forget the many happy hours spent in front of a crappy old radio pulling out weak, watery CW signals from strange lands when I was a kid.
My other hobbies are flying and playing music. I hold a commercial pilot's license and own a Mooney M20J (N3933H). I am a guitarist/vocalist and play solo acoustic shows in coastal North Carolina and South Carolina where I currently live (www.reverbnation.comwillrobertsnc). I am a member of the Flying Musician's Association. Professionally, I am an electrical engineer specializing in Telecommunications.
My other hobby is flying. Here is a shot of my airplane in flight...
Something is always in need of repair. Here it is a 2 element 40 meter beam. I am in the crane basket repairing a blown loading coil...